Today Canon Australia has been awarded the Gold Partner Award in the Sustainability Advantage Program by the Office of Environment and Heritage NSW.
Canon is joining four other organisations in receiving this award that strives to encourage businesses to reduce their impacts on the environment. Converga (acquired by Canon in 2015) was the first in Australia to achieve Gold partner status in 2011. Canon aims to collaborate with Converga on future projects that continue to reduce impacts and also provide benefits to customers.
Yusuke Mizoguchi, Managing Director, Canon Oceania, received the award at an event last night at Dolton House, Hyde Park, and was proud of the achievement stating:
“It is exciting to see our philosophy Kyosei, which means living and working together for the common good, come to life and make a real difference to the environment and our community. We are grateful to the Sustainability Advantage Program for the recognition of Canon’s leadership and our commitment to collaboration with other businesses to reduce the environmental footprint of doing business.”
Canon has been a member of the Sustainability Advantage Program since 2009 and has a long history of reducing environmental impacts year on year. Canon accredits this achievement to the various CSR initiatives that have been put in place including:
• Product design lifecycle assessment methodology that reviews impact at all stages, through biomass plastics, returnable packaging, recycled plastics and power savings
• A commitment to the Cartridges for Planet Ark recycling program to help close the loop on cartridge disposal
• Leadership in encouraging collaboration between manufacturers to provide consumers with simple effective methods to recycle products at the end of their life. EG: Australia New Zealand Recycling Platform , an industry driven not for profit organisation which runs the National TechCollect program for recycling e-waste and the Australian Battery Recycling Initiative.
• Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions through office space, which is now 70% more energy efficient than the previous space
The Sustainability Advantage Program looks to advise businesses on their environmental performance, help them to reduce costs and add value to their business. The award seeks to recognise those organisations that:
• Demonstrate outstanding environmental achievement and leadership
• Demonstrate ongoing participation in industry sustainability programs and events
• Participate in mentoring activities to share the organisations experience with others
• Show environmental sustainability values are instilled in the organisational culture
• Participate in benchmarking to assess environmental sustainability proficiency
• Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement and goal setting